8 Beauty Tips & Tricks
When it comes to fashion and beauty there are 3 different types of girls. There’s the girl that has everything down and can style themselves effortlessly. Then there is the girl who knows a few tricks here and there but swears by what she knows. Lastly, there’s the girl that often needs assistance in deciding what’s hot and how to wear these trends. I would consider myself the 2nd type because when it comes to makeup and putting clothes together I trust my instincts entirely. Makeup, specifically, is one of my true passions. While there are some days I can be seen not wearing any makeup this is not to say that I am unaware of what looks work best with my features. With that being said, makeup exists to accentuate and complement your best attributes, not to hide them. In this post I am going to invite you into my world and share with you some tricks I have picked up along the way. Hopefully my advice will assist you in some way even if you think you have everything down to a T.
1) Wash your face & moisturize regularly.
This may not be a trick directly related to makeup, but in order to put your best face forward you need to make sure you are caring for your skin. Washing your face everyday gets rid of all of the excess dirt and makeup that builds on your skin. It provides you with a clean slate to start your makeup routine everyday. Moisturizing is just as important as washing your face. According to an article on Ehow.com
, “All skin needs to be moisturized, even oily skin. Moisturizers improve skin tone and texture.” I would advise finding a cleanser that’s best for your skin type. My personal favorite is from the Dermalogica line of skincare. While the cleanser I prefer is rather pricy I don’t believe more expensive brands are always the best for you. Try a few out to see what truly does what it claims to do. As for moisturizers, it is definitely not imperative to spend a ton on these. I use Pond’s Dry Skin Cream, which costs a mere $7 – $8.
2) Facts about Foundation.
Not all foundations are the same. There are different consistencies and textures. Various shades and application techniques. Some are super expensive while others don’t break the bank. Finding the right foundation for your needs is all about knowing what you want from the product and experimenting until you’re satisfied with the results. I’m not saying to go out and buy 12 different foundations. Do your research! First, it’s crucial to determine what you want a foundation to do for you. What type of coverage are you looking for? Do you want one that’s a liquid, powder, mousse or cream-based? How much are you willing to spend? These are the types of questions you should be asking yourself to help find the right foundation for you. Looking at product reviews is also helpful as well. There is a great resource called MakeupAlley.com
where they have a large database of product reviews for many different cosmetics. You just have to sign up for free to access this database then you can search by brand, product, etc. If you are still unsure try asking around to see what foundations your friends use, or better yet head on over to your favorite makeup store. The staff at Sephora or Ulta are likely to be able to point you in the right direction. I use Loreal Magic Smooth Souffle Foundation. The consistency of this foundation is unlike any other I have tried before. It’s a very light mousse- like texture, but it provides terrific coverage and blends well with my skin. I used to always worry about having lines between my foundation and my neck but now I don’t!
3) Bronzer & Blush. Your look will always be more complete after you apply some bronzer and/or blush. These two products have the power to contour your face and add some color if used properly. It’s not necessary to go overboard with either of these items! Bronzer is one of the products I simply can’t go without. I love the way it warms my face with a few simple sweeps of my brush. Finding the right bronzer or blush follows a similar process as finding the right foundation. However, it’s essential to pay a bit more attention to colors when picking a blush. If you don’t typically wear blush you may want to start with a peach shade. Peach is the most universal color of all blush shades. My favorite is MAC Powder Blush in Peaches. You can work this color all year round. Plus, it looks great when worn over bronzer. As far as other shades are concerned I’d say stick with light colors for spring/summer and darker colors for fall/winter. Blush comes in all kinds of consistencies just as foundation does. Decide whether you prefer one that’s cream- based, powder, stain or mousse. Powder blushes are easier to build in my opinion so keep that in mind. You can’t really go wrong with bronzer as long as you don’t go crazy with it. Find a shade that complements your skin. Try not to use bronzer to make your face look tan because chances are you’ll end up with a dark face and look light everywhere else. For starters, try Too Faced Sun Bunny. It’s important to carefully consider what type of brush you want to use to apply your bronzer/blush. Some people use kabuki brushes. I personally dislike these because I feel that they distribute too much color in one area. I like a simple soft- bristled blush brush. Two brands of brushes that I prefer are Eco Tools and Sonia Kashuk.
4) Pick One Feature. There’s nothing I despise more than someone that tries too hard. I am not trying to be harsh but it really is not attractive to overdo it. Pick one feature you want to accentuate and focus on just that as your focal point. For example, if you are wearing a smoky eye make it a point to pair it with a nude lip and soft cheeks. Want to wear a bright lipstick? Make sure your eyes are done in a way that they’re still defined but soft. The same goes for clothing. It’s simply not necessary to show off every feature you have. Pick one asset and focus on that one alone. Then find pieces to complement the rest of your outfit. Focusing on one feature will allow your look to appear more natural and trust me natural is more appealing.
5) All About Eyes. Eye makeup is probably one of my absolute favorites. There’s nothing I love more than playing with a new eye shadow palette. Palettes are definitely the way to go when it comes to shopping for eye shadow. They allow you to try out several different colors before you buy individual ones. Plus, they provide for an endless amount of eye looks. Urban Decay is the master of all eye shadow palettes. They have the Naked, the Naked 2 and 6 other palettes to cater to any look you want! Plus, they give you the option to build your own palette on their website using any colors you wish. (look more into this before posting). I currently own the Naked Palette which offers several colors perfect for any smoky eye! Lorac also makes some nice eye palettes.
6) Sun Proof Face. This is probably not what SPF stands for but I can’t stress enough the importance of applying sunscreen on a daily basis. Protecting your skin from damaging sun rays is essential to preventing the aging process from occurring early. Trust me, no amount of concealer or foundation is enough to cover sun spots and wrinkles. Plus, daily sunscreen use can prevent you from skin cancer. Some moisturizers even come with built-in sunscreens so there’s absolutely no excuse!
7) Universal Lipcolor. If it wasn’t for bronzer and eyeshadow then lipgloss would be my favorite cosmetic of all time. It’s not crucial to spend a ton on lipgloss but I have found THE ONE. That being none other than Nars Lipgloss in Turkish Delight. I have been using this color for about 4 years now way before I even knew Kim Kardashian wore this color. Trust me, I could care less what makeup the “famous” people are wearing! This color is simply amazing and consistency is great. I’m convinced that this color could work with any makeup look and skin tone. Plus, it’s not too goopy or sticky. It looks great over lip liner and perfect under lipstick. I’m just simply 100% in love with this lipgloss and have found a way to end my unhealthy lipgloss hoarding habits. Nars also makes some other fab colors in case you aren’t looking for such a light shade.
8) Lips Need Loving Too!
You’ve gotten your face care routine down to a science, but now it’s time to pay close attention to your lips. Read more
on how I keep my kisser nice and smooth with a few simple products!